Wednesday 4 April 2012

Progress not Perfection

The Road to Recovery - rewarding yet bumpy.

I left a dysfunctional marriage over three years ago.  Although I did not grow up in a home that had alcohol, the family disease of alcoholism was ever present.  My mom was a classic codependent, and my dad was the alcoholic personality.  And as the oldest child and a perfectionist, I grew up and became my mother and married my father.... but I found a guy who actually drank...

After the marriage ended after slugging it out for 18 years together, I found Al-Anon... but I was getting into unhealthy relationships that repeated patterns from my childhood and my marriage and did not always involve alcohol.  I knew there was a bigger problem.  That led me to CoDA - Codependents Anonymous.

While working through my codependency patterns, I discovered another layer (we talk about peeling the onion -- I am beginning to hate that frickin' onion! Lol).  I am in the process of starting an slaa group - sex and love addicts anonymous.

Each day I get a little better, a little stronger.  I have to remind myself it's all about progress and not perfection.

Love ya all!

No comments:

Post a Comment