Sunday 8 April 2012

Empowering Songs

Have you ever noticed how many codependent songs there are??  I wanted a playlist to run and workout to that had empowering messages. 

Here is my one hour playlist:

Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
I know I said no more Adele... but this is the one song that has a little bit of boundaries in it, lol.
I set fire to the rain
And I threw us into the flames
Where it felt something die
'Cause I knew that that was the last time, the last time!

F**kin Perfect - P!nk
Change the voices in your head - make them like you instead...

SomebodyThat I Used to Know - Goyte (I like how he contradicts himself that he wanted to end it but not END it.. and his feelings are hurt that she actually set a boundary... and then she cuts in and calls him on his bullshit and how he tried to make her feel like everything was her fault during the relationship...)

Brand New Chick - Anjulie
Don't need a rescue
It's all good baby
I been hittin' my stride
I Love Myself Today- Bif Naked
Haha - what else needs to be said about this song?  Title says it all.  And awesome beat to run to.
Woman - Wolfmother
Not sure if there is really an empowering message in this one but I love running to this song.  And there is nothing codependent in it :)

Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter
Doesn't mean I'm over cause you're gone

I could have posted the entire song - it says it all. 

Part of Me - Katy Perry
Throw your sticks and your stones, throw your bombs and your blows
But you’re not gonna break my soul
This is the part of me
That you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no

Stronger - Kanye West
I'll admit that I think Kanye is a little to full of himself... but I let that go, just concentrated on the main idea - that which does not kill you, makes you stronger...

Sorry - Madonna
I listened to your lies and all your stories
You're not half the man you'd like to be
I don't wanna hear
I don't wanna know
Please don't say you're sorry
I heard it all before
And I can take care of myself
Operator (A Girl Like Me) - Shiloh
And why would I want to be anyone else but a girl like me? :)

Invincible - Hedley
I've come a long, long way
Made a lot of mistakes
But I'm breathin’, breathin’

Ghost - Fefe Dobson
He cheated.  And she left.  And she ain't coming back...

According to You - Orianthi
Hmmm - as I reread these lyrics I may have to chop this off the playlist... She definitely is relying on someone else to tell her what she is and that she is worthwhile... and I don't think she's quite let go of the resentment for boyfriend number one... she might need to do some step 4 work lol!
Bulletproof - La Roux
Been there, done that, messed around
I’m having fun don’t put me down,
I’ll never let you sweep me off my feet,
I won’t let you in again, the messages I’ve tried to send,
my informations’ just not going in,

Skyscraper - Demi Lovato
You can take everything I have
You can break everything I am
Like I'm made of glass
Like I'm made of paper
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground
Like a skyscraper
Beautiful song.  Slow for running but good for a nice cooldown.  Stand tall!  Be strong!
Jar of Hearts - Christina Perri
I hear you're asking all around
If I am anywhere to be found
But I have grown too strong
To ever fall back in your arms

Stay strong,
Progress

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH I was nodding my head until I got to Kanye.

    Sis - DAFT PUNKS!! Go for the original - skip the Kanye CRAPoLaaaa!

    I will have to google some of the others and let you know if I approve.. ...

    HA HA HAHAHAHA

    I crack me up!!

    I have listened to music differently since you mentioned to me the co-dependent tendency of most songs - I think I have deleted all of Adele off of my iphone out of sheer disgust of her lyrics, She does have a great voice though. Maybe we could send her a self help tape and some new lyrics to sing??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know every time I hear one of her songs I want to drag her to a meeting...

      Delete